Monday, August 20, 2007

Walking the Walk

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power."
-I Corinthians 4:20

"Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth."
-I John 3:18

I am not the most articulate person - I actually write much better than I talk! This has caused concern in my interactions with non-Christians as far as: "Am I sufficiently 'talking the talk' in order to draw them to the gospel?" However, this verse in Corinthians is saying that the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power!

Not to say that it is wrong to "talk the talk" - or course not! I have an admiration for people who are better at putting the gospel into words than I am. Yet this is not the only way to draw others to our precious gift of salvation. A believer who truly walks in love both toward the brethren and to non-believers, is in a powerful position to be used as an instrument for God's glory. It's easy to love in word, yet it's not convincing until our actions show that we love in deed and in truth.

Non-believers may or may not pay attention to what we say, yet they are watching our lives and actions to see if we are really living what we are saying.

Being "slow of speech" like Moses doesn't have to hinder our witness - for it is the Kingdom of God that possesses the power. An instrument doesn't write the song or play the tune, but when the Musician plays it becomes a beautiful melody.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Thanks for this post, Jen. We always hear St. Francis' quote, "Preach the Gospel at all times, if necessary use words," but so often it is used to justify not ever verbally sharing the good news. I think you hit an important balance hear with the proclamation of the Word in the midst of a life of holiness and love. Well done

Morgan said...

Wonderful thoughts, Jen! I appreciate your words concerning "walking your talk"...Very good things to remember. Thank you!