Thursday, August 16, 2007

Ruth 1:16-17 cont


Ruth's words sound like those of a wife to her husband - "Entreat me not to leave you" "where you go I will go" "if ought but death part me and thee." It is beautiful when applied in this sense, and I have seen it used in many weddings. Yet a thought struck me that we sometimes overlook... this was Ruth speaking to her mother-in-law!

What a far cry from the "mother-in-law jokes" of today, the careless attitudes and lack of respect. Ruth showed selflessness, caring, respect, and complete devotion to Naomi and care for her welfare. Ruth left her country to care for her mother-in-law. She gleaned the wheatfields for Naomi, she obediently followed Naomi's "odd" instructions regarding her relative Boaz.

And Ruth was blessed in abundance.

It's hard to see a modern day version of this story happening because our culture is so different. Respect is largely a thing of the past.

It's sad.

1 comment:

Goldfish said...

I loved this post!!!! I haven't really spent that much time in the book of Ruth, so it was great hearing (well, reading if you want to get technical) your insights on it! Wonderful post.