Friday, February 22, 2008

Not Tolstoy, Still Priceless

Kevin asked me to read to him tonight. So I read to Kevin (almost 4) and Anne (8). Thankfully I learned years ago that it just doesn't pay to be too picky about the quality of the books you read to a toddler. I mean, you just can't get past those overly-simple-repetitive-Dick-and-Jane-style classics.

For instance, tonight Kevin picked out three books.

Clifford Barks
The Bear Detectives and the Missing Pumpkin

&
Twas the Night Before Christmas

I added one book of my choosing to the list; The Three Snow Bears (I love Jan Brett! :) )

Clifford Barks was very closely along the lines of "Clifford barks at the flowers, Clifford barks at the trees, Clifford barks at the people, Clifford barks at the bees."

'Nuff said. I shall only add that it wasn't my first choice... ;)

Twas the night before Christmas - Kevin learned a new word from this one. Plump. He asked me what it meant. I said it meant chubby. He then asked; "Am I chubby?" "Are you chubby?" I answered "no" to each question. Then (because the term must apply to someone) he stated firmly, "Anne is chubby." I think that statement resulted in this picture:

I also learned something from that book that I didn't remember from the poem before...

Apparently...

Santa smokes. Ahem.

And I quote:
"The smoke from his pipe he held tight in his teeth,
and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath."
Ah for positive role models... :-D

Oh, and the bear detectives.

"Aha! You've found a pumpkin leaf,
Just show me where
you found this leaf
Then I will find the pumpkin thief."
Yeah, enough of that one too. Let's just say I'm not crazy... yet. ;)

Then we pulled out the camera and started taking pictures. Oh, and Kevin is very camera trigger happy, and he wanted to take pictures of himself making fish faces, and of the floor, and of -- my feet.

I'll spare you. :)

The Snow Bears book was my favorite. It was Goldilocks told with polar bears in Alaska. The most "classic-y" one, and I prefer classics.

No, they weren't in depth. Not even close. None of the books were terribly brilliant or inspiring or mind-developing. Actually some verged on being, well, annoying.

That's not the point. :)
Rather, it was a moment, and now a memory, and it's only once and it's just TOO MUCH FUN!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a good time!! I loved reading clifford books when I was a child:)
Jennifer

Ginger said...

LOL...Too funny!! I was just thinking of myself as I read this post. Recently one of the kids at school asked me to read Ping The Duck...lol *Snore*

Although...I too love Jan Brett she has become one of my fave since I started working at the school I just read one her books to the class just yesterday. It was about a horse but I can't remember the title.:)

Ginger