Monday, June 18, 2007

Secure in His Promise

"No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what He had promised."
-Romans 4:20-21

I find it so easy to say "Lord, I trust You... just please tell me what you are doing to me!" I have to know the why, the how and the outcome, and then I promise to trust Him. What is wrong with this is that when we know what will happen there is no trust involved!

God made radical promises to Abraham, that He would bless an old man with a child, and make his descendents like the sand of the seashore. Abraham didn't demand to know the how and the when as years passed childless, he stayed firmly trusting that God knew what He was doing, "fully convinced."

A childlike trust is willing to believe when our eyes are shut to "how" and "when" and "why." A child is secure in the knowledge that Father does know best, and any worrying is needless and only self-destructive.

And if the One in control knows what He is doing, I don't need to know.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Very true, we want to know all the details before we offer our trust, but it cannot work that way. When my three-year-old nephew wants to know why I have him do something before he does it, I easily recognize that he should simply trust me and act on that trust. It is amazing then that we have such a hard time transferring this understanding to our own relationship with God. We can have perfect faith in Him because He is perfectly faithful.
Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. I have appreciated many of your comments on Boundless as well (assuming there is only one "Jen" posting on there). Also, very cool that you are a florist. My mom has been a florist for years