Thursday, May 17, 2007

Choices - and Looking to the ONE!

I cannot make choices - it's a problem. For years I didn't have a favorite color because I just couldn't decide. When I was six my favorite color was purple... because purple was my Grandma Mary's favorite color. When I was 8 my favorite color was blue, because blue was Nicole's favorite color. When I was 11 it was forest green - forest green was Alicia's favorite color. Finally at about 13 I realized it was a losing battle, I couldn't decide, and I was favorite-color-less until last year when a friend asked me what mine was. When I said I didn't have one he felt sorry for me and decided for me that my favorite color was blue. So now it is blue! Or is it pink? Or white? :)

That's just one example, I still can't decide my favorite food but I have narrowed it down to anything Italian, Chinese, Mexican, or seafood - or else involving chocolate, popcorn, dill pickles, salsa or broccoli. :) I don't have a favorite song, favorite book, favorite flower, or favorite animal. I DO have a favorite season... it's spring! Making arrangements are a problem when there are so many flowers to choose from, and I can't decide which color scheme I want, or what flowers, or what style - the list goes on. I DO have a favorite book of the Bible - it's Isaiah... and Psalms, and John, and the Timothy's, and Jeremiah, and Micah, and Zechariah - oh dear.

I know, it's pathetic.

I suppose my lack of skill in the decision making area would be a reason why I especially love this verse:

"There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." -Ephesians 4:4-6

There is only ONE! ONE body, ONE Spirit, ONE hope, ONE Lord, ONE faith, ONE baptism, ONE God and Father. No choices involved regarding our Savior and King who is over all and through all and in all. I love the wording here!

There are no compromises when it comes to our faith, there is no detour, the straight and narrow is the only path. Jesus Christ is the ONE Way, Truth, and Life. I was in a class when the professor asked us who believed in absolutes. Well, this was an obvious question. I raised my hand, and looked around... my own was the only hand up. Someone sitting behind me said "No" outright. Our professor looked at him, and replied, "Young man, you just gave me an absolute."

We live in a culture where truth is a matter of opinion, faith is "controversial," right and wrong are not defined. Our laws are subject to the whim of the judge, who may or may not believe in absolutes. Abortionists are "pro-choice" - when there isn't a choice for us regarding truth. Right and wrong is all clearly laid out in Scripture,

"See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it." Deut 12:32

There are dire consequences promised to anyone who adds on to His word. (Rev 20:18.) His Word and His Truth are absolutes. The Lord our God is ONE Lord. (Deut 6:4) Our choice is to "choose you this day whom you shall serve." (Joshua 24:15) As far as who He is, or what defines right and wrong, or what truth is, there are no choices involved.

And that's a relief to me. :)

2 comments:

Springjoy said...

Jen- thank you for your comment. I praise God that He used that article to encourage your heart.

I too, struggle to hold on to the beauty of pain. It isn't easy... but He is so faithful to us!

God bless you, and keep holding on to Him.

-Chantel

Anonymous said...

my oldest daugher loves all the colors, too ... she often says her favorite color is "rainbow!"