Monday, April 30, 2007

Light a Fire, and Light it in Me

I started a fire in my chemistry lab today...

We were supposed to collect methane gas in a tube under water - my problem was I turned the gas on while the hose was still lying on the counter out of the water. Burst of flame! I quickly turned the gas off, and it was out by the time the professor called "I smell something burning!"

I'm not doing very well in chemistry lab!!

Interestingly, lately I have felt led to pray for the Lord to send "fire." It began when I was sick, and in my feverish rantings I woke up twice praying that He would "light a fire." I didn't know when I woke up what that meant. Later that same day I read from Ezekiel

"Behold, I will kindle a fire in you, and it shall devour every green tree in you and every dry tree. The blazing flame shall not be quenched, and all faces from south to north shall be scorched by it. All flesh shall see that I the LORD have kindled it; it shall not be quenched."
-Ezekiel 20:47-48

This coming after my feverish prayer inspired me to begin a study on fire. Among the types of fire in the Bible are the Refiner's fire, the judgement fire, and the fire of our love for Him. I could see how much I needed His fire, and I began to pray in earnest that my Lord would light whatever fire He pleased in me.

This is still my prayer. I need His fire, I need it to sweep through devouring every green and dry tree in me. I need His refining fire, I need His chastening flame. I need a rekindling of my love for Him. And I pray that this fire is never quenched.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."
-Isaiah 43:2

It is so comforting to know He is present in the fire. He is with me, upholding me, and He chastens those whom He loves.

Meanwhile - I suppose I'm just not cut out for a scientist!

No comments: