Friday, February 16, 2007

Shifting to the Beat

One of our cars is standard. I can't drive standard - but I need to learn in order to drive this car; which is the car my parents would prefer me driving. I was telling my friend Josh about it. Like a typical guy, he is interested in cars, and he was asking questions about the make, model, and year. "You will be driving a standard Saturn!" he exclaimed, "that is so cool - you can SHIFT GEARS in time to the music!!" :)

Shifting to the music... it made me laugh so hard, it just sounds so incredibly goofy! However, in thinking harder about it; I realized how much wisdom there is in applying this to life. When we are required to make an adjustment it may be difficult or unwelcome. There are lots of changes we would prefer to avoid... yet when we obediently follow our Lord's leading He gives the joy to "shift in time to the music."

Ok, so driving a standard doesn't sound all that thrilling to me; for one thing, it's not what I'm used to, for another, I'm a little scared of stalling on a hill. A third reason is that my little brother makes it look so easy... :) I'm not always the most willing person to adapt to change, for unfamiliar territory often appears threatening. I like to know and be confident in what I am doing to avoid slipping up or looking foolish. Yet my Lord promises to lead me forth with peace and joy (Isaiah 54:12) as long as I trust Him. I may feel insecurity in myself but in Him I have confidence.

And I'll be shifting those gears to His beat!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha..Sorry I don't mean to make fun of you! I know the feeling,when learning how to drive standard. You can do it!!!

Rebecca said...

I WISH I could learn to drive a manual transmission... but no one I know has one. You're lucky, I think it's a good thing for anyone to know how to do.
I found your blog from a comment you made on YLCF. I had to visit your blog when I saw that you are a florist! I am too!!! In fact the name of my blog is... flowershop girl. :-)