Friday, January 19, 2007

My Boring Day, and His Awesome Grace

Today was just one of those days... it simply began wrong. It couldn't have been the wrong side of the bed - - - because my bed is against the wall. Maybe it was because I didn't have any coffee this morning... and yes, last semester did turn me into a coffee drinker!! Maybe it was my headache, or the weather change, or maybe it was just me.

Whatever the cause, everything seemed wrong today, and my glum face was a witness that I was allowing my bad attitude to get the better of me. "How are you, Jen?" my co-workers were asking. I would heave a sigh, and say, "Fine." "Oooh, you look like you're in a mood." my co-worker Sam said.

I was in a mood. Work was just so boring today, because I was willing it to be boring in my mind. The flowers were boring, the conversation was annoying, thinking was painful with my hurting head, and through everything the snow was coming down harder, thicker and harder still.
Dad called and asked if I wanted a ride home. "No, I'll be fine, I'll go slow." I said. I should have let me drive me home...

My car got stuck when I was leaving the parking lot. Josh was ahead of me, and he left his car parked at the traffic light and ran back to push me out. It worked, and I started towards home very slowly, the last I looked at the speedometer I was going 20 mph. Then I lost control at the top of a hill.

I slid and skidded down the hill, first I thought I was going to hit the guard rail, then a tree, then I finally did a partial doughnut and landed backed into a barbed wire fence. No way, this wasn't happening to me, not again!!

I was fine, I didn't have a scratch. My car had a scratch, but that's all it had. My Lord is there even when I am failing, and I felt such a failure today, for I wasn't allowing His joy to light my life. He is always faithful.

Someone called 911 and a tow truck, so there were all these firemen running around, and I was at a loss at what to do with my dad on the way and they were setting up a road block. Everything worked out in the end, and I'm grateful that in this type of setting they expect you to be ditsy, for I certainly fit the profile. Everyone was wonderful; with the exception of one person whom I kept wanting to hit over the head with my purse. (He made a couple comments; I'm glad I resisted the urge!! :) )

"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him." Psalms 91: 45-15

My Lord keep His promises on my good days, and my bad days. He is with me when I am spilling over with joy, and even when I allow myself to be glum. I am so thankful that His protection and care does not depend on whether I deserve it or not, for I certainly am undeserving. He cares for me, and I am so thankful for every day I have...

And I've realized - that a boring day, is not necessarily a bad day!! :)

No comments: